2021 Golden Apple Award and I Am Accessible Award
Winners Announced !
It’s the best time of year! Spring is in the air, it’s just about the end of term, and all that hard work is almost behind us. It’s also the time of year we get to take the time to say thank you to some excellent Faculty who have gone the extra mile to support student wellbeing.
We had a really fun time organizing the 2021 awards with some incredible students and this year, we partnered with the Disability Resource Centre and their I Am Accessible Awards. Both the Golden Apple Awards and the I Am Accessible Awards are student-driven awards where students nominate Faculty (and staff for the I Am Accessible Awards) who are supporting wellbeing and accessibility at UBC Okanagan.
This year the 2021 Golden Apple Award Winners are:
- Fostering student-instructor relationships – Mehran Shirazi, Engineering
- Fostering peer-to-peer relationships – Richard Plunket, Biology
- Helping Students Find Value in the Subject Matter – Neha Gupta, Anthropology
- Helping Students Find Value in the Learning Process – Wayne Broughton, Mathematics
- Structuring the Course Effectively – Bonar Buffam, Sociology
- Delivering the Material Effectively – Jeewon Yoo, Mathematics
- Supporting Learning Outside the Classroom – Peyman Yousefi, Engineering
- Recognizing that Students Have Lives Outside Academics – Yang Cao, Engineering
- Openly Discuss Wellbeing-Related Topics – Tim Paulson, History
- Creating a Safe Classroom Environment – Ross Hickey, Economics
This year the 2021 I Am Accessible Award Winners are:
- Sophie Vinette – Staff Award
- Mehran Shirazi – Faculty Award
Congratulations to all the winners!
It was an especially tough year for everyone, and we really appreciate the time you each took to support student wellbeing. Cheers to another great year!